Saturday, August 22

Why Him?

I sat in the chair across from Kurik, bloodying the carpet. He talked with Monosai, ignoring me completely. "Umm...?" I drew his attention back. "It is an awful pity to dirty the carpet," he said. He healed me, but I still felt horrible. Probably the alcohol, it is the first time. The only time, I thought. "Why, Syra, will you go get the book about dragons on that shelf over there?" I got up, and walked to the shelf he had indicated. I got a book, acting drunk. "Syra, I need to see the book," Kurik said. Does he know? I asked myself. I retrieved the correct book, walking back to the table. "What's that?" Kurik pointed at my neck. I looked down, and saw the chain I hardly noticed anymore. I pulled it out of my tunic. He gasped as I revealed an amulet with a large sapphire. "What?" He didn't answer. "May I take a closer look?" I nodded and handed it to him. He was careful not to touch the amulet, only the chain, and handed it back after careful scrutiny. He seemed to fear it. We were enveloped in conversation again. Once it got late, he looked pointedly at me, then his room. I cursed the fact that I was supposedly drunk. I faked passing out. That should be good enough, I thought. Monosai, however, really was drunk, and went easily.

2 comments:

  1. Well of course MonoSai went easily, she had the hugest crush on him, that combined with drunkness is not a good combination...^_^

    ReplyDelete